Saturday 8 December 2012

The day I was hit by a car while riding my bike....




I baked some Oatmeal Raison Cookies and brought them down to the White Rock Fire House to thank them for coming to my rescue last friday! #Angles



The day I was hit by a car while riding my bike....

My Story,

It's been one week and a day since I was hit by a motorist that was, I am told, in a hurry to get to the bank after work last Friday, November 30th.
 I have been starring at my blank blog for a few days now. Thinking that I really should write about what happened. About my accident. But to be honest I have not been able to find the words. My full attention has been on my recovery and being able to manage everyday basic care for myself.
Until Wednesday I hadn't even been able to dream. Wednesday, was the 5th day of recovery. It was also the very first day that I have felt any emotion since the accident last week....and I was angry. I was angry because the person that hit me thought his getting to the bank was more important than my saftey. The "what if..." came in to my thoughts for a feeting moment then as well.
I had cried at the hospital the day of the accident, from the pain of my injuries. But I quixkly realized that crying made my head ache even more so I stopped and decided tears were a luxury I couldn't afford either at the moment so those were shoved to the ..."Do not open till later" pile.  My full focus was on recovery, not feelings.
I know what you're thinking, "That doesn't sound like you Donna"...but it's true...on day 6 of my recovery, Thursday. I bumped in to a friend whom asked how I was doing? That was the first day I actually got emotional and began to cry, but breifly.
If you ask me, "What happened" I can recant to you what I remember....
It was friday afternoon...I had been busy all day with errands, chores, and getting ready for my last Cyclocross race of the season, the one I had trained all fall for and had been looking forward to for months. The day was almost here just one more practice run on the course. It had rained excessively the day before and although I had been out to the Athletic Park every day that week to practice and train I wanted to get one more ride around the perimeter of the Park on the grassy area as that is ussually my weak area.
I left my house at 4:21 p.m. I was loosing dailight soon so I needed to head to the Paek with no felay, and would probably only get one lap in before it was dark. I did consider for one moment, not going...just skipping it and racing the next day. I mean I had practiced all week....but I decided to go...so....I remember the time because I customarily check my watch before I leave on a ride or walk and then check it again on my return to see how long I worked out for.
I went my usual route that I have taken so often. I was wearing my hi vis lime green jacket, my warm leggings from my brothers running store, FRONTRUNNERS Nanaimo, a reflector band on my leg, a flashing red rear light on my bike and of course my helmet, I never ride without it; fact! I headed out.
 Be a very experienced rider I tend to always ride effectively, defensively, and safe. I follow all road rules, as I try to set a good example. It has been my endevore for a couple years now to initiate a "Safe Road" plan to be utilized locally but also to go Global and be implemented in every city worldwide..so riding safely with respect for all on the road is my mantra whenever I am on the road.
I had gone not even 1 k from home...just walked across a pedestrian walk way that crossed one of White Rocks main roads North Bluff/16th...had gotten back in the saddle signalled I was going left...went 1/4 of a block to the intersection that was green for me, signalled right looked and went....I was about 200 meters from that intersection...there was no-one in front of me I knew I had to go left at the intersection coming up so I looked over my left shoulder there was no-one behind me or coming my way...
That is the last thing I remember.
There was no "Oh Oh" moment.
I was knocked unconcious.
What I do remember, whenever I came to, and I kept loosing consciousness. I slipped in and out of consciousness for hours. But I fo remember some voices....specifically one person, male, I assume it was one of the Firemen. He said to me, "I know you. You and I road together from Hope". I also remember being told that I was going in a helicopter to Roayal Columbian Hospital, but I do not remember the ride at all.
So, here is what I have been told and what I have peiced together since.
Friday, I was heading out to the Athletic Park in the afternoon to ride once around the course for the CX race the next day. I took a route that I have taken often. Less than 1k away from my home I was hit by a motorist, so I am told, that made a left over a double yellow solid line to enter in to the Bank of Montreal Parking lot on Martin Drive on the South Surrey side of the Peninsula. He did stop after hitting me and waited for the Police to arrive on the scene. I was knocked unconsious instantly. My face hit the driver's left side of his vehicle first before hitting the pavement. I regained consiousness only once the White Rcok Fire Dept arrived on the scene and revived me as I lay in the street. At some point, I am not sure when...all of my gear/kit that I was wearing ( and I have very little of it so this is going ot be costly to replace...my fav lulu lemon tech shirt for instance and my "I can't live without" leggings from my brothers shop they cost over $100...easy come easy go I gues) was cut off me (so I was stripped naked) to make it possible for all the heart, ekg monitors to be stuck on me...I was covered in sticky tabs when I regained consiousness....they were everywhere!
I was transported by amulance (I think that was how I got to the helicopter landing ) to Centenial Park where all of the White Rock Fire Deptment Auxilary had been called in and had made a lit landing circle around the soccer field with their service vehicles for the Air Ambulance Helicopter to land. I was transported via the helicopter to the no.1 Trauma unit in British Columbia, Royal Columbian Hospital in New Wesminster, which is 5 townships away from where I live in White Rock (approx....k)..where I underwent a CT scan do see if there was any broken bones or hemorages in my brain (again I do NOT remember any of this as I was unconcsious most of the time)...thankfully the scan was clear.
I guess you can call me 'Lucky'. For many reasons...one being that I never broke a bone. Reason,  I think was because I never saw it coming.So  I didn't  tence up or brace myself during the hit or fall...which is why I think I never sustained any broken bones. Basically I bounced.  I did however hit my face pretty hard it was what I am told hit the car then the pavement first. my whole left side is bruised up on my face, and legs...my bottom lip required stitches that I undertook with no anisthetic...I had already been poked so many times by that point I was consious and frankly I wanted to save myself at leasy one needle. So i winced a took one for the team.
My biggest recovery hurdle has been the aftermath of the concusion...I had to return to Emergency Saturday night as my head swelling was causing me a lot of pain.Also I was struggling to put my thoughts together. That has been my biggest challenge. My short term memory has been pants as well...worse than everyday. Much to my oldest daughters frustration. After repeating herself a few times while we were at the hopsital she  said, "Mom I have told you that 3 times already"....I just smiled looked at her (as best I could with my half open left eye and stitched swollen lip) and said "It's good practice for when I am old with dimensia" and I giggled....:)
Last Friday night I was living the dream...
Completly surrounded by Handsome firemen in uniform with their complete undevided attention on me. With a Helicopter reception. It was like a classic 'Chic flick'; only this was my life,and I didn't get to enjoy one bit of it! Geesh ;)

Stats on the Bike...It has been assessed by 'The boys' at 'The Shop'..it is unridable, unfixable, and unsafe for the road. The force of the hit by the vehicle knocked the front forks out with such force that they are bent and with that blow it shifted the entire steel frame...so in the garden the bike will go to become one of those trendy planters you see to often on Pinterest.
That was my only bike I was riding and I  would ride everyday. I am missing my bike & riding, but I have no idea when I will return to it. I can't afford a new bike, and I still need to replace my gear as well.
I decided a couple of days ago, it has been quite a year..I thought that before the accident, clearly 2012 was not done with me yet, I am taking a Holiday from Christmas this year. I can't do anything anyway and I certainly can't afford it now so I think I am very comfortable with saying goodbye to 2012 early.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

*It only hit yesterday, a week later, that my accident was my "Brush with Death"...it hasn't sunk in ...at all...I am still focusing (just a wee bit) on un-important material loss at the moment...I am assuming that it will hit me down the road.

I made some Oatmeal Cookies for the Guys at the White Rock Fire House...it took me close to two hours to just follow the instructions for making the cookies; bloody concussion. I have made these same cookies dozens of times in the past, and it never took me this long...my head is still a mess....I walked them down to the Fire House,  which is two blocks from my home. I made it despite my slow canter and constant swerving.I have gone for a walk around the block every day since the accident. As statistics have proven the earlier one is mobil the quicker the recovery

My first walk the day after my accident, although looking back I know understand everyones ;horror; struck reactions when seeing me...It must have been my delisional state from the concusion, because really I should have been in bed...but I managed somehow to make it to the Fire House for their annual Pancake Breakfast with Santa.....I wasn't going to miss it I go every year. As I walked in to the Fire Hall Bob the Captian, who is married to an old school chum Carmel Joy, took one look at me, and said "How are you doing" I assumed he was looking at my tell tail sign of my black eye, swollen cheek, and fat lip, I replied "I am okay I was hit by a car yesterday but I am okay"...he paused for a moment then said, "Ya,,,,I know...I was there". Clearly I don't remember that because I was unconcious.
I hope the guys  know how much they made a difference to me and in my life. I use to always refer to the White Rocks Firemen as "White Rock's Finest", and that was before they came to my rescue last week....sometimes all that can be said for gestures that change one's life is
"Thank You".

A Stop at the Gratitude Cafe:

Thank you again to all the Wonderful Men at the White Rock Fire Deptartment. I have always been a fan. To some of you I am a friend, a riding partner, and now I am forever grateful for being there to receive the call and helping me in my time of need.  I can't thank you enough. Bless!
Special thanks to dear Miss Sydney Thorne for coming to check on me Tuesday and bringing a care package...as well for coming by again the next day to look in on me.
Thank God for Mother's...mine has brought me hot meals everyday since my accident..which is good because my motor skills are really suffering and if I had to make my meals at the mo I would probably starve because it takes me forEVER to do anything these days.
Also thankyou to Nicole for stopping by to see how I was.
To all my caring friends that have inquired and sent their thoughtful messages via facebook, snail mail (my dear friend Kirsten who sent a beautiful get well card), email and in person...Thank you for all your care and concern. It means so much.
To my dear daughter no.1, Hope, for coming to the hopsital, staying even though she was scared to death and so out of her comfort zone, for also  keeping her siblings up to date on their Mama's condition...and for checking up with me during the week via fb and skype and dropping by a week later to see  her Mama, treat me to a fancy foo foo Eggnog Latte at Starbucks and hang out while I took forever to make her some simple Latkes that I have made as tradition every Hannuka since she was born 23 years ago.
I Love you Hope!










Cycling Cafe's Diva

"Uniting a Community; one Cyclist at a time"

"RIDE HAPPY"


This Blog and its content is copyright of Cycle Cafe - ©CycleCafes 2011- 2012 . All rights reserved
 #WhiteRock  #Cyclecafe #angels #bike #accident #SafeRoadInitiative #Ridehappy #ridesafe

No comments:

Post a Comment